Vaastu Ground rules for planning a house - II
1. The master bedroom should be in the Southwest corner, while
other bedrooms can be in the Central- South and Central - West directions. A bedroom in the Northwest is also
receommended but should be used as a guest room or only for daughters. Bedrooms should be avoided in the Southeast corner.
2. It is preferable to have children's rooms in the West or North.
Children should have their study desks in the North or East of the room and they should face East while
3. One should sleep with one's head pointing towards the South.
Children, however, can sleep with their heads pointing towards the West. No one should sleep with their heads in
4. The bedroom can be painted in light to deep blues to induce sleep.
Green is advised for study rooms to promote intelligence. Sandal/Yellow is advised for prayer room.
5. The living room should be located in the North or East sctors of the house.
Heavy chandeliers or fancy lamps should not be located in the geometrical centre of the rooms. They may be placed slightly
towards the West or South of the room.
6. TVs and computers should ideally be placed in the Southeast corner of the living
room or study room. They should not be placed in the Northeast corner or Southwest corner.
7. Telephones can be placed in the Southeast or Northwest corner but not in the
Southwest or Northeast.
8. Living rooms can be painted in white, yellow, light pink, light blue or green.
Grey, red and black are to be avoided.
9. Always keep the centre of the room, building and plot, free from any loads,
weights, pillars, columns, beams, water bodies, etc.
10. It is preferable to have the staircase towards the South, West or Southwest
of the building but it may be in the Southeast or Northwest, depending on other parameters. Staircases should be avoided in the
Northeast, North and the East.
11. Circular/spiral staircases are generally to be avoided. The number of steps in a
staircase should be odd, including the landing step, and they should rise from East to West or from North to South. It is better to
make sure that the steps are by the South and West walls, and that it should be constructed in such a way that the movement is
in a clockwise direction while going upwards,that is from the ground to the higher floors.
12. Toilets should be located in the Northwest corner of the building or in the Northwest
corner of the rooms. Where Northwest toilets are not possible, Southeast toilets are allowed. Other alternative directions for toilets
are Central-South or Central-West. Closets in the toilets should face North or South, along the North-South axis;and should not face the
East or West. See figure for all possible locations for toilets and bathrooms.
13. Toilets should be avoided in the Northeast, North and East.
14. Mirrors in the toilet and dressing room should be on the North or East walls.
15. A bathroom in the East sector is most preferred as the beneficial rays of the morning sun
can enter and promote the health of the user.
16. In the office or study room, the table should be placed in the Western or Southern side so that
one sits facing the East or North. No equipment, furniture, cup boards, etc. should be placed touching the North or East walls and if it becomes
unavoidable, they should be kept at least 4" or 6" away from the walls.
17. Cash boxes can be located in the room towars the North (treasury). But if the box is heavy(such as
a safe, heavy almirah) then it should be kept in the Southwest corner and the door of the almirah should open towards the North.
18. The storage or lumber room can be located in the Southwest, adjacent to the Master bedroom.
19. If possible, the house should be extended by 4 feet to 5 feet in the Northeast direction to ensure the
Northeast directional bliss for the household. Growing tulsi and other beneficial herbal plants in the Northeast will promote good health and prosperity.
20. Pictures of landscapes depicting mountains should be hung on the South and West walls only. Landscapes
containing water, such as pictures of lakes and rivers should be on the North and East walls. Pictures of eagles, battle scenes, carnivorous animals
should not be used for interior wall decorations. Pictures of horses, cows and elephants can be used for decoration purposes.
This research article is submitted by
Guruji Dr. K. Venkatesan, BE, MTech, EdD, PhD, DDiv
Disclaimer: All the articles by Guruji are based upon the Vedic and spiritual guidance, scriptures, and interpretations rendered by the ancient wisdom of great sages, religious authorities, Guruji´s decades of research in Vedic Metaphysics, hereditary and intuitive divine inputs from Guruparampara. However the practice of the same is to be done by the individuals as per their own best judgment. We do not guarantee or assure the correctness of the contents by the scale of the so called modern science which, may not be applicable or appropriate to interpret or assess the Infinite Faith.